I Executive Summary
II Summer 1999: A Season of Hate
III The Findings
IV Anti-Semitism and the Internet
V Harassment, Threats and Assaults
VI Vandalism Incidents
VII Campus Incidents
VIII

Regional Breakdown

IX Arrests
X Conclusion
XI President Clinton on ADL & Hate Crime
XII Federal Hate Crime Response Initiatives
XIII A Note on Evaluating Anti-Semitic Incidents
 
Charts and Graphs
  Audit Data Charts
 

Listing of Reported
Campus Incidents

  Related Link(s):
  ADL Model Hate
Crimes Legislation

  States with Penalty-Enhancement Hate Crimes Laws
  State Hate Crimes Statutory Provisions
  ADL Resources

Your contribution helps ADL
expose & combat
Hate on the Internet
Contribute to ADL

The Findings

  • The number of anti-Semitic incidents documented by the Anti-Defamation League fell to a total of 1,547 incidents from 1,611 in 1998, a 4 percent decrease. Of the instances of anti-Semitism in 1999, there were 868 cases of harassment (down 3 percent from 896 in 1998), and 679 acts of vandalism (down 5 percent from 715 in 1998). Harassment and vandalism incidents represent 56 percent and 44 percent of the total incidents, respectively, which represents the same proportion as in 1998. ADL's 1998 Audit reported 896 incidents of harassment (56 percent of the total) and 715 (44 percent) instances of anti-Semitic vandalism.
  • Continuing a nine-year trend, there were more acts of anti-Semitic harassment (868) than vandalism (679) in 1999. Most of the targets of harassment were individuals (737, or 85 percent of the total), while the remaining cases of harassment (131, or 15 percent of the total) were directed against Jewish institutions, including synagogues, Jewish schools and community centers. In 1998, harassment against individuals accounted for 80 percent of the total number of harassment incidents.
  • Once again, the five states reporting the most anti-Semitic incidents in 1999 are New York (352), California (275), New Jersey (226), Massachusetts (111), and Florida (88). Together, these states (with the largest Jewish populations and thus the most targets of opportunity) account for 1,054 of the 1,547 incidents reported (68 percent). New York, California and Massachusetts showed increases, while New Jersey and Florida showed decreases in the number of reported incidents.
  • The decrease in vandalism incidents in 1999 is mainly due to decreases in attacks against Jewish institutions and privately owned Jewish property. Vandalism against public property increased, however, from 277 in 1998, to 302 in 1999, an increase of 9 percent, reflecting a growing trend of improved security measures at Jewish institutions, with perpetrators seeking out less well guarded public targets.
  • After a 21 percent decrease in 1998, in 1999 anti-Semitic incidents on college campuses decreased by 30 percent, to 60. This represents the fewest number of campus incidents since 1989, when 69 incidents were reported to ADL. Campus anti-Semitic incidents have declined by more than half over the past five years. As in the past, the majority of campus incidents in 1998 fell under the category of harassment.


1999 Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents Front Page | Combating Hate Front Page

1998 Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents Front Page | ADL On-line Home | Search | About ADL | Contact ADL

2000 Anti-Defamation League