Members of the United Nations and a host of non-governmental
organizations will gather in Durban, South Africa, August 31
7, for the third international conference on racism, which will set out to
examine effective mechanisms to combat racial discrimination
understanding and awareness of a global problem.
Despite the laudable goals of the 2001 U.N.
World Conference Against Racism, the process is being hijacked
by some to
promote hateful anti-Jewish canards such as "Zionism is racism" and
those who would use the conference as a platform for delegitimizing Israel.
The Anti-Defamation League, a world leader in the fight
against anti-Semitism and racism, is urging participants
to reject those
efforts. ADL is urging nations and non-governmental organizations to:
- Reject the misuse of the U.N. Conference to advance anti-Jewish hate and
- Oppose assaults on Israelís legitimacy
- Unite against genocide without trivializing the Holocaust
- Fight to preserve the integrity and mission of the U.N. Conference
- Let Israelis and Palestinians negotiate between themselves
This online report will be regularly updated to include ADLís latest
statements and news bulletins from ADLís delegation to the U.N. Conference.