2009 Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents
Posted: July 27, 2010
A total of 29 anti-Semitic assaults on Jewish individuals (or individuals thought to be Jewish) took place in the United States in 2009, according to the ADL Audit.
The following is a list of selected anti-Semitic assaults in 2009:
- February 21, 2009: Lincoln, Nebraska -- Jewish girl was shot with air-soft gun. Assailants yelled, "Jew girl, we are going to do what the Germans did."
- March 6, 2009: Newton, Massachusetts -- A man was hit in the face with a thrown egg while someone yelled, "Kike."
- April 20, 2009: Buena Park, California -- A Jewish student was beaten up after confronting a classmate drawing swastikas.
- June 10, 2009: Washington, D.C. -- An 88-year-old man with a long history of white supremacist and anti-Semitic views opened fire at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, killing an African-American security guard before being shot himself. The shooter subsequently died of his wounds.
- June 26, 2009: Pendleton, Oregon -- A Jewish individual was assaulted by a skinhead.
- August 25, 2009: Brooklyn, New York -- An 11-year-old Jewish girl was assaulted and taunted with anti-Semitic comments by a gang of African-American teens in a public playground.
- September 20, 2009: Brooklyn, New York -- A Jewish man wearing a kippah was assaulted with a brick by two unknown persons.
- November 1, 2009: Boca Raton, Florida -- A Holocaust survivor was assaulted and subjected to anti-Semitic slurs.
- November 18, 2009: Naples, Florida -- Numerous incidents took place during a "Kick a Jew Day" at a middle school.
Examples of Bomb Threats
- March 9, 2009: Palo Alto, California -- A suspicious package with a threatening note was discovered in front of Kehillah, a Jewish high school. The school was evacuated and the package was destroyed by police. It did not contain a bomb.
- May 20, 2009: Riverdale, New York -- Four Muslim converts were arrested for an alleged plot to attack two synagogues in the Riverdale section of the Bronx and to shoot down planes at a military base. The men allegedly began surveillance of several synagogues and a Jewish community center in April 2009. According to a federal prosecutor, the four men were "eager to bring death to Jews."
- July 14, 2009: Tulsa, Oklahoma -- A bomb threat was called into the Tulsa Jewish Retirement Health Care Center. A suspicious package was located in a trash can, but police determined that it was not an explosive.
- December 3, 2009: Peoria, Illinois -- A Jewish synagogue/day school received a bomb threat via telephone. The message stated, "You better watch out, we are going to bomb you, we don't like who you are, you are going to cease to exist, allahu akhbar."