Attacks and Threats Increase in Reaction to Mugrabi Gate Project
Chronology of Terror Attacks
Posted: March 12, 2007
· February 24, 2007. Al Aksa Martyrs Brigades and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ)-affiliated Al Quds Brigades issued a joint statement taking responsibility for launching three mortar shells into Israel "in retaliation for the Israeli aggression against Al Aksa Mosque"
· February 14, 2007. The Yasir Arafat Brigades, a Fatah-affiliated group, claimed responsibility for firing two rockets at the Israeli town of Sderot. In a statement the Arafat Brigades said the attack came in retaliation for "the assault against the holy Al Aksa Mosque and its desecration by the usurping occupation forces. It is also the continuation of the military operation "Redeeming You, O Al Aksa."
· February 8, 2007. The Yasir Arafat Brigades claimed responsibility for rocket attacks on Israeli towns, which it dedicated "for you, O Al Aksa."
· February 8, 2007. PIJ claimed responsibility for firing six rockets at an Israeli border crossing station, stating that the attack was in response to Israeli excavations in Jerusalem.
· February 6, 2007. PIJ fired two rockets into Israel; one hit a medical clinic at a Kibbutz in Israel's south.
[The January 2007 suicide bombing attack in Eilat, a joint operation by the Al Aksa Martyrs Brigades, the PIJ and the Army of Believers, a previously unknown group, were also cited as being motivated by what they said were Israeli "attempts to defile Al Aksa mosque."]