Attacks and Threats Increase in Reaction to Mugrabi Gate Project
Chronology of Threats
Posted: March 12, 2007
· February 24, 2007. Hamas representative Ahmad Hamdan, attending a conference in Teheran titled "Art of Resistance," talked about the excavations: "Israel intends to destroy Al Aksa and build Solomon's temple on the ruins of this sacred place. Al Aksa is being disrespected by the Zionist regime, but it seems that none of the Islamic countries have the courage to stop Israel and throw it out, so to prove that Al Aksa is the red line for Muslims."
· February 23, 2007. Dagestani Shariah Jamaat, a terrorist group active in Dagestan, threatened to attack a synagogue in the local capital in a statement posted to a Chechen rebel website, Kavkaz-Tsentr:
"Muslims all over the world must help our Palestinian brothers to liberate the Al Aksa Mosque. The Shariah jamaat warns the 'Israeli' Zionists that if they do not put a stop to their wicked mine-laying and attempts to destroy an Islamic shrine the Al Aksa Mosque, then our community will attack the synagogue in Shamilkala [the militants' name for Makhachkala, the capital city of Dagestan] and turn it into a 'Wailing Wall.'
God is Great! We hope that the mojahedin [holy warriors] all over the world will follow our example, and if the Zionists do not end their wicked provocations against Al Aksa, they will attack Zionist targets all over the world. God is Great!"
· February 16, 2007. Sheik Raad Salah, leader of the Northern Branch of the Islamic Movement in Israel, called for a new intifada during a protest in East Jerusalem after which worshipers rioted and clashed with police. As a result of this speech, the Israeli police opened an investigation against Salah for inciting violence.
Salah, who has emerged as the main source behind the incitement campaign that has made him into a pan-Islamic celebrity, said: "It is now the duty of every Arab and Muslim to start a new intifada...to save Jerusalem and… Al Aksa." He also echoed the Blood Libel, saying, "the Israeli history is contaminated with blood. They want to build their temple while our blood is on their clothes, on their doors, in their food and drinks." Months earlier, Salah predicted that "soon Jerusalem will be the capital of the new Muslim caliphate [a united Muslim empire ruled by Islamic code], and the caliph's seat will be there [and] the Israeli occupation will leave Jerusalem."
· February 10, 2007. Hezbollah issued a statement condemning Israel, which it called "the enemy entity," the Arab regimes and "the forces of international arrogance, led by the US Administration," for supporting "Israeli violation of the sanctity of Al Aksa Mosque." It further called to "support the Palestinian people in all that they need to help them maintain their heroic steadfastness and continuous resistance to the Israeli occupation."
· February 7, 2007. Al Aksa Martyrs Brigades, an arm of the Palestinian Fatah movement, warned: "If the Zionist enemy and the settlers continue the Al Aksa work, we will target synagogues and other sites in the Jewish faith." Several days later, on February 12, Al Aksa Martyrs Brigade issues a second statement concerning Israeli "hostilities against Al Aksa Mosque," reiterating the group's position that it is ready to attack abroad "to strike the Zionist occupation wherever it may be present." (In May 2006 Al Aksa Martyrs Brigade, for the first time, issued a threat to attack abroad, specifically against U.S. interests.)
· February 7, 2007. Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, met with Ramadan Abdullah Shallah, PIJ secretary general, in Iran. At the meeting, according to Teheran Times, Khamenei "urged all Muslims to seriously respond to the Zionist regime's disrespectful action, saying that the Islamic world's reaction 'should make the Zionist regime regret its offensive act.'"
· February 4, 2007. During a press conference in Syria, Khaled Mashaal, the Damascus-based Hamas leader, warned: "Israel, who today is playing with fire when it touches Al Aksa, knows the consequences of this playing with fire… Olmert must learn the lesson... of Sharon who sparked the intifada."