2009 Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents
Posted: July 27, 2010
The ADL Audit recorded 422 cases of anti-Semitic vandalism in 2009. Incidents are individually evaluated by ADL and are categorized as anti-Semitic based on the presence of anti-Semitic symbols or language; the identity of the perpetrator(s), if known; and the target of the vandalism and its proximity to Jewish homes, communities, institutions and houses of worship.
These are some examples of major instances of vandalism in 2009:
- January 1, 2009: Knoxville, Tennessee -- Vandals threw rocks at two synagogues, breaking several stained-glass windows.
- January 24, 2009: Delray Beach, Florida -- A mezuzah was torn off the doorpost on a home several times over course of three months.
February 15, 2009: San Francisco, California -- "F--- the Jews and "F--- Anne Frank" was drawn on benches at middle school.
- April 6, 2009: Gainesville, Florida -- A large swastika was painted on house belonging to Alpha Epsilon Pi, a Jewish fraternity at the University of Florida.
- April 8, 2009: Cape Coral, Florida -- "Hitler was here," "White Power" and several swastikas were drawn on approximately a dozen homes and a police cruiser.
- April 10, 2009: Damascus, Maryland -- Thirteen swastikas and KKK graffiti were found in synagogue parking lot on the second day of Passover.
- April 15, 2009: West New York, New Jersey -- Anti-Semitic graffiti was found on several floors in apartment building. Messages included "Kill all Jews and Mexicans."
- April 22, 2009: Union City, New Jersey -- Vandals broke into a Jewish education center, laid two pieces of wood on a desk in the shape of a cross, and set it on fire.
- May 12, 2009: Chandler, Arizona -- A sign announcing the construction of a Jewish religious institution was defaced with a large swastika and white supremacist graffiti.
- July 17, 2009: Queens, New York -- Several mausoleums were damaged and approximately 55 headstones overturned in a Jewish cemetery.
- September 9, 2009: Newport, Virginia -- Swastikas and other anti-Semitic emblems were drawn on Jewish community center.
- October 18, 2009: Palo Alto, California -- Two swastikas were carved into a wall of a new Jewish community center building.
- December 7, 2009: Brooklyn, New York -- "F--- Jews" was found on the wall of a local business.