2009 Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents
Posted: July 27, 2010
ADL recorded 760 cases of anti-Semitic harassment in 2009 – up from 613 the year before. Incidents included verbal attacks and slurs against Jewish individuals (or individuals perceived to be Jewish); anti-Semitism conveyed in written or electronic communications, including anti-Semitic cyberbullying; and anti-Semitic speeches, picketing, or events.
Expressions of political criticism of Israel are not included in this category. However, public expressions of anti-Israel sentiment that demonize Israelis and/or Jews, that deny Jews their right to self-determination in an independent state, or that equate Israel with the Nazi regime, are included.
The following is a list of selected incidents of anti-Semitic harassment in 2009:
- January 27, 2009: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania -- A Jewish student was subjected to anti-Semitic slurs and jokes during class; the teacher allegedly allowed this harassment to continue.
- February 5, 2009: Tidewater, Virginia -- Students held a "Kick a Jew Day."
- February 6, 2009: Weston, Massachusetts -- A high school biology teacher made anti-Jewish comments while teaching about genetics.
- February 15, 2009: Seattle, Washington -- A dead rat was left on the doorstep of a Holocaust survivor who had recently been the subject of a newspaper article.
- March 2, 2009: Monroe Township, New Jersey --Harassing phone calls were received by several people in connection with a Holocaust memorial program. Messages included, "I am a Christian and I hate the f---ing dirty Jews."
- April 1, 2009: New York, New York -- Three Jewish professors at Columbia University's Teachers College received envelopes containing swastikas in their mailboxes.
- May 11, 2009: Madison, Connecticut -- A student was taunted by a classmate with comments such as "I hate all Hebrews," "I have some German relatives who would love to kill you," and "Jews are easy targets."
- June 1, 2009: Munster, Indiana -- A Jewish student was passed a note on which a classmate had drawn a photo of Hitler pointing a gun at a Jew holding a dollar bill. An anti-Semitic caption was included.
- June 27, 2009: Fair Lawn, New Jersey -- As families were exiting synagogue, a passing car slowed down and a passenger yelled, "Six million more! Six million more!"
- November 12, 2009: Wallingford, Connecticut -- An actor taking part in a Hansel and Gretel scene told onlookers, "If there are any Jews here, you have to go into the ovens first."