- Bangladeshi Student Arrested in Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve Building in New York (10/18/12)
The New York Joint Terrorism Task Force arrested Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis on October 17, 2012, as he attempted to detonate what he believed to be a 1000-pound truck bomb outside the New York Federal Reserve Building.
- Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (06/28/12)
- Profile: Barry Walter Bujol Jr. (06/28/12)
Barry Walter Bujol Jr. was sentenced to 20 years in prison for attempting to deliver money and equipment to Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
- Philadelphia Man Charged with Funding Islamic Jihad Union (03/19/12)
- Authorities Thwart Attempted Suicide Bombing at the Capitol (02/22/12)
Amine El Khalifi, A 29-year-old Moroccan residing in the United States illegally, has been arrested for attempting to carry out a suicide bombing at the Capitol building in Washington, D.C.
- Colorado Man Charged with Attempting to Join Islamic Jihad Union (01/24/12)
Jamshid Muhtorov has been charged with attempting to provide personnel to the Pakistan-based Foreign Terrorist Organization, Islamic Jihad Union (IJU).
- Former Soldier Attempts to Join Al Shabaab (01/12/12)
Craig Baxam, a Muslim convert from Maryland, was arrested in Kenya while attempting to join Al Shabaab
- Tampa Man Charged with Plotting Attacks (01/11/12)
- Al Qaeda Inspired New York Resident Arrested on Terrorism Charges (11/21/11)
Jose Pimentel, arrested on November 19, 2011, planned to target U.S. servicemen returning from abroad, post offices and police targets, according to officials. He is charged with one count of criminal possession of a weapon as a crime of terrorism, two counts of conspiracy and one count of soliciting or providing support for an act of terrorism.
- Al Shabaab Claims Another American Suicide Bomber (11/03/11)
One of two suicide bombers who attacked African Union troops on October 29, 2011, was an American citizen, according to the Al Qaeda-linked Somali terrorist organization Al Shabaab. Abdisalan Hussein Ali, 22, was identified by his family in an audio message claiming credit for the bombing. The recorded message was released on the day of the attack by Al Shabaab on an affiliated Web site.
- Charges Unsealed in International Terrorism Conspiracy; Maryland Student Among Those Charged (10/25/11)
Mohammad Hassan Khalid, a legal permanent resident from Pakistan living in Baltimore, was charged in an indictment unsealed on October 20, 2011, with soliciting funds for terrorists and recruiting potential terrorists online. He was arrested July 6, 2011.
- U.S. Thwarts Iran-Linked Attacks (10/12/11)
Manssor Arbabsiar, a 56-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen from Iran was arrested on September 29, 2011 and charged on October 11, 2011 with conspiracy to commit an act of terrorism and conspiracy to murder a foreign official, among other charges. Gholam Shakuri, a member of the Quds Force of the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps who remains at large, was also charged.
- Massachusetts Man Arrested For Terror Plot in DC (10/04/11)
A Massachusetts man has been arrested and indicted for planning an attack on the Pentagon and Capitol with explosives-packed model airplanes.
- Brooklyn Resident Arrested at JFK for Attempting to Join Terrorists (09/26/11)
A Brooklyn resident has been arrested at JFK International Airport in New York for allegedly planning to join a terrorist organization in Pakistan.
- Road Rage Incident Linked to Seattle Terror Plot (09/26/11)
A Seattle man with alleged ties to a suspected terrorist has been arrested for attempting to attack Marines using his vehicle.
- Muslim Extremists Targeting Jews After 9/11 (08/26/11)
- Post-9/11 Islamic Extremism in the U.S. (08/26/11)
- Soldier Arrested and Charged in Plot Targeting Fort Hood Military (07/29/11)
A soldier suspected of attempting to emulate the Fort Hood shooting in 2009 has been arrested and charged for allegedly planning a similar attack against Fort Hood military personnel in Texas.
- Responding to The Call: Al Qaeda's American Recruits (07/25/11)
One of the most significant developments in domestic terrorism since the September, 11, 2001, terrorist attacks is the role that a growing number of American citizens and residents motivated by radical interpretations of Islam have played in criminal plots to attack Americans in the U.S. and abroad.
- Brooklyn Man Convicted on Terrorism Charges (07/11/11)
A Brooklyn man inspired by online terrorist propaganda has been convicted of attempting to join a foreign terrorist organization with the intention of killing U.S. military personnel.
- The Seattle Terror Plot & The Online Messages of Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif (06/30/11)
- Man Arrested in Ohio on Terror Charges (06/16/11)
A former Minnesota resident has been arrested in Ohio for providing material support to an Al Qaeda-linked militant group in Somalia.
- American Involved in Al Shabaab Suicide Attack (06/10/11)
One of two suicide bombers who attacked a military base in Mogadishu was an American citizen from Minnesota, according to the FBI.
- Iraqi Terror Suspects Arrested in Kentucky (06/03/11)
Two Iraqi nationals living legally in the United States as refugees have been arrested in Bowling Green, Kentucky, for allegedly conspiring to send missiles, other weapons and money to Al Qaeda in Iraq and other Iraqi insurgents.
- Explaining “Lone Wolf” Terrorism (05/24/11)
A “lone wolf” is an individual extremist who seeks to commit violent acts on his own without belonging to an organized extremist or terrorist group or cell. While the “lone wolf” description in this case does not fit – Ferhani and Mamdouh conspired together, according to authorities – understanding this phenomenon is critical to responding to the serious threat it poses.
- South Florida Imams Arrested For Supporting Pakistani Taliban (05/17/11)
Three American citizens, including two Southern Florida Imams, face charges of providing support to the Pakistani Taliban. Hafiz Khan, the imam at the Flagler Mosque in Miami, and his son Izhar Khan, imam at the Jamaat Al-Mu'mineen Mosque in Margate, were arrested on May 14, 2011 in South Florida. Another of Hafiz Khan's sons, Irfan Khan, was arrested that same day in El Segundo, California.
- Two Men Arrested in New York Terror Plot Targeting Jews (05/12/11)
Two men suspected of plotting to attack a synagogue in New York City in the name of Jihad have been arrested in Manhattan.
- Radical Interpretations of Islam and the Homegrown Extremist Threat (03/09/11)
With a population of over 300 million, the United States is home to a variety of extremists groups and movements from across the ideological spectrum. One of the most striking elements of today's domestic threat picture is the role that a growing number of American citizens and residents motivated by radical interpretations of Islam have played in criminal plots to attack Americans in the U.S. and abroad.
- Saudi National Arrested for Texas Plot (02/25/11)
A Saudi national arrested in Texas for allegedly attempting to build and use a weapon of mass destruction described his plan to wage "jihad" and target Americans in blog postings and a personal journal, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Two Americans, Five Others Charged with Conspiring to Aid Taliban (02/15/11)
Seven men, including two Americans, have been charged for allegedly plotting to help the Taliban fight American troops in Afghanistan, according to a February 14, 2011, U.S. Justice Department statement. The men allegedly conspired to sell weapons and drugs to Taliban fighters.
- Revolution Muslim Offers Online Academic-style Course (02/10/11)
- North Carolina Man Pleads Guilty in Terror Plot (02/10/11)
The indictment of eight North Carolina men for engaging in weapons training and conspiring to carry out "violent jihad" overseas serves as a troubling reminder of the increasing threat posed by American Muslim extremists.
- Virginia Man Charged with Threatening to Carry Out Attacks in D.C. (12/16/10)
A Virginia man has been arrested for allegedly threatening to detonate explosives in high-traffic areas of Washington, DC.
- Baltimore Man Arrested for Attempting to Bomb Army Recruiting Center (12/09/10)
Federal authorities have arrested a Baltimore man for attempting to detonate what he believed to be a car bomb at an army recruiting center in Catonsville, Maryland.
- Somali-American Arrested for Attempting to Bomb Oregon Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony (11/30/10)
A naturalized American citizen from Somalia has been arrested for attempting to detonate a vehicle he believed was laden with explosives at an Oregon Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
- A Series of Al Shabaab-Related Indictments Unsealed in November 2010 (11/09/10)
A series of indictments unsealed in November 2010 illustrate the continued support among U.S. residents for a Somali-based terrorist organization with links to Al Qaeda.
- Authorities Intercept U.S.-Bound Cargo Laden with Explosives (11/02/10)
Federal authorities have thwarted an apparent Yemen-based terror plot to send explosive-laden packages on U.S.-bound cargo flights.
- Virginia Man Arrested for Plotting Terror Attacks at D.C. Area Metro Stations (10/28/10)
Federal authorities have arrested and charged a Virginia man for plotting coordinated terror attacks at Metro stations in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
- American Man Arrested in Hawaii on Terror Charges (10/27/10)
An American citizen who attempted to join the Taliban and fight against American troops has been arrested in a terrorism investigation.
- Profile: Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (10/25/10)
- Wife of Virginia Man who Threatened South Park Faces Charges (10/19/10)
The wife of a Virginia man who allegedly attempted to travel to Somalia to join the terrorist group Al Shabaab has been charged with making a false statement to federal authorities.
- Al Qaeda English Magazine Calls for Terror Attacks in the U.S. (10/13/10)
- American Women and Terrorism: A Growing Trend (08/13/10)
The number of American women charged for their involvement in terrorism activity has doubled within the past year.
- Terror Charges Unsealed against 14 U.S. Residents Linked to Al Shabaab (08/10/10)
A series of nationwide arrests and indictments announced on the same day illustrate the efforts of a Somali terrorist group to recruit Americans and other English-speakers.
- Chicago Resident Arrested for Attempting to Join Somali-Based Terrorist Group (08/05/10)
An American citizen from Chicago is the latest American who attempted to travel to Somalia to fight with an Al Qaeda-linked terrorist group and kill U.S. soldiers.
- Alaska Couple Pleads Guilty to Terrorism Charges (07/23/10)
Two American citizens from Alaska – a man who planned revenge attacks against those he believed "desecrated Islam" and his wife – have pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges.
- New Charges Filed in Terror Plot Against New York Subways (07/09/10)
A former Florida student designated as one of the FBI's most wanted terrorists has been charged with organizing a terrorist attack against the New York City subway system.
- Backgrounder: Revolution Muslim (06/30/10)
- Insani Yardim Vakfi (IHH) (06/09/10)
Insani Yardim Vakfi (Humanitarian Relief Fund in Turkish, or IHH), an Istanbul-based Islamic charity with links to Hamas, was one of the key organizers of the "Freedom Flotilla," a convoy of ships en route to Gaza that was intercepted by the Israeli Navy on May 31, 2010.
- New Jersey Residents Arrested for Attempting to Join Somali-Based Terrorist Group (06/07/10)
Two Americans who allegedly planned to kill American soldiers overseas are the latest in a wave of Americans traveling to Somalia to fight with an Al Qaeda-linked terrorist group.
- American Admits to Funneling Thousands of Dollars to Al Qaeda (06/02/10)
A Kansas City man who swore an oath of allegiance to Al Qaeda has pleaded guilty to funneling thousands of dollars to the international terrorist network.
- Presentation by State Department's Daniel Benjamin on Confronting 21st Century Terrorism (05/05/10)
- Guilty Plea in Failed Times Square Car Bombing (05/04/10)
- New Yorkers Charged with Providing Technical Assistance to Al Qaeda (05/03/10)
Two New Yorkers have been charged with providing computer systems expertise to Al Qaeda in an attempt to modernize the international terrorist network.
- NY Man Pleads Guilty to Sending Aid to Al Qaeda (04/28/10)
A former Brooklyn College student has pleaded guilty to providing Al Qaeda with military gear to use against American forces in Afghanistan.
- American Linked to Al Qaeda Arrested in Yemen (03/16/10)
An American formerly employed at several U.S. nuclear power plants has been arrested in Yemen for his alleged involvement in terrorist attacks and his suspected links to Al Qaeda.
- "Jihad Jane" Indicted on Terror Charges in Pennsylvania (03/10/10)
An American woman who allegedly recruited potential terrorists online is one of the first American females charged with terrorism offenses in the United States.
- Criminal Proceedings: A Timeline of U.S. Terror Cases (03/09/10)
- Emerging Terror Threat to the U.S. from Yemen and Somalia (02/24/10)
An emerging terror threat from Yemen and Somalia "pose[s] new challenges to the United States and other countries fighting extremism worldwide," according to a January 2010 U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations report titled "Al Qaeda in Yemen and Somalia: A Ticking Time Bomb."
- Profile: Omar Hammami (02/09/10)
- Al Shabaab's American Recruits (02/01/10)
- "Resistance" Conference in Beirut Draws Far Left American and International Activists (02/01/10)
- Queens Man Pleads Guilty to Planning Terror Plot Against New York City Subways (01/12/10)
A Queens man has pleaded guilty to planning to detonate homemade explosives on New York City subway lines.
- The Christmas Day Bomber: Al Qaeda in Yemen's Latest Plot against Americans (01/12/10)
- London Court Sentences Men for Foiled Terror Plot to Blow Up Transatlantic Airplanes (01/05/10)
- Al Qaeda Associates Charged in New York for Attempting to Transport Narcotics for a Colombian Terrorist Organization (01/04/10)
Three Al Qaeda associates have been charged for attempting to transport narcotics for a Colombian terrorist organization and providing part of the proceeds to Al Qaeda, marking the first time associates of the international terrorist network have been charged with narco-terrorism offenses in a United States federal court.
- Iranian Sentenced in Delaware for Procuring Military Equipment to Prepare Iran for War Against the U.S. (12/16/09)
An Iranian who attempted to procure a cache of electronics and military equipment to prepare the government of Iran for future conflicts with the United States has been sentenced to five years in prison.
- Americans Sentenced in Pakistan for Attempting to Join Terrorist Groups and Fight U.S. Forces (12/15/09)
Five American students, detained in Pakistan during a terrorism probe, are apparently the first American Muslim extremists to be tried by a Pakistani court.
- Chicago Men Helped Plan 2008 Mumbai Terror Attacks; Surveilled Jewish Targets for Pakistani Terror Group (12/10/09)
- Fort Hood and the Growing Muslim Extremist Threat (12/10/09)
The shooting at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas, which left 12 soldiers and one civilian dead and 32 others injured, has renewed public discussions about the growing Muslim extremist threat in the U.S.
- American Muslim Extremists Target U.S. Military (12/04/09)
The shooting at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas, which left 12 soldiers and one civilian dead and 29 others injured, is the latest in a series of attacks and plots targeting American military by extremists motivated by a radical interpretation of Islam.
- LET Targets Jewish and Western Interests (12/02/09)
Israeli and Indian intelligence agencies have increased security at Jewish institutions in India in response to threats by a Pakistani-based terrorist group responsible for a series of coordinated terror attacks in Mumbai, India, in November 2008 that killed over 170 people and wounded approximately 300 others.
- Profile: Anwar al-Awlaki (11/24/09)
- American Muslim Cleric Praises Fort Hood Shooter (11/11/09)
- Al Shabaab Threatens Attacks on Israel (11/09/09)
In response to recent standoffs between Israeli police and Palestinians at Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, Al Shabaab, a U.S.-designated terrorist group that seeks to overthrow the Somali government, has threatened to attack Israel.
- Detroit Imam Killed in Shootout with Federal Agents (11/02/09)
A Detroit imam, described by authorities as an advocate of "violent jihad" against the U.S. government and law enforcement, has been killed in a shootout with federal agents.
- Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (10/28/09)
- New Yorker Charged with Attempting to Aid Hezbollah (10/28/09)
A Queens man and his apparent accomplice have been charged with attempting to provide weapons, ammunition and vehicles to the Lebanese terrorist organization Hezbollah.
- Chicago Men Charged with Plotting Terrorist Attack in Denmark (10/28/09)
- Massachusetts Man Arrested for Attempting to Wage "Violent Jihad" against America (10/22/09)
A Massachusetts man who allegedly planned to attack a U.S. shopping mall and American troops in Iraq has been arrested for attempting to wage "violent jihad" against America. His arrest is the latest in a series of terror-related charges in the U.S. since September.
- A Series of Terror Plots Foiled in September 2009 (10/07/09)
A series of terrorist plots foiled in the span of one week illustrate the continuing threat against the United States posed by those motivated by radical interpretations of Islam. During the week of September 21, several men were charged in separate plots to bomb a federal building, a 60-story skyscraper, a major city's transit system and a U.S. military base.
- NYC-based Muslim Extremist Group Seeks to Incite Violence against Jews (10/07/09)
Revolution Muslim (RM), a small New York City-based Muslim extremist organization, has posted to its Web site a poem asking God to "kill the Jews." The poem, posted on October 7, 2009, is signed by the group's leader Yousef al-Khattab.
- Jordanian National Arrested for Attempting to Bomb Dallas Skyscraper (09/29/09)
A Jordanian teenager has been arrested for attempting to detonate explosives at a Dallas skyscraper and "bring down the building."
- Guilty Plea in Terror Plot Against New York City Subways (09/25/09)
An Afghan national who grew up in New York has pleaded guilty to planning a terrorist attack against the New York City subway system.
- American Arrested for Attempting to Bomb Federal Courthouse in Illinois (09/25/09)
Federal agents have arrested an Illinois resident who attempted to detonate explosives at the federal courthouse in Springfield.
- Bin Laden Blames the “Israel Lobby” for the September 11 Attacks (09/16/09)
Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden cited America’s relationship with Israel as the motivation behind the September 11 terrorist attacks, in an audio message posted on Web sites commonly used by Islamic militants.
- International Arms Dealer Indicted in Alabama for Conspiring to Supply Jet Engines to Iran (09/10/09)
An international arms dealer has been indicted in Alabama for conspiring to illegally export F-5 fighter jet engines and parts to Iran.
- Suspected Planner of AMIA Bombing Named to Iran's Cabinet (08/21/09)
A suspected international terrorist with alleged links to the deadly 1994 attack on a Jewish community center in Argentina has been nominated by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to serve as Iran's defense minister.
- Somali-American Pleads Guilty to Terrorism Charges in Minnesota (08/18/09)
A Somali-American from Minnesota has admitted in federal court to training with an Al Qaeda-linked terrorist group in Somalia.
- Hizb ut-Tahrir Emerges in America (07/28/09)
- New Yorker Pleads Guilty to Providing NYC Transit Information to Al Qaeda (07/23/09)
A Long Island man has pleaded guilty to providing information about New York City transit systems to Al Qaeda for potential terrorist attacks and to firing rockets at an American military base in Afghanistan.
- Qaradawi Funding Hamas Efforts in Jerusalem (07/21/09)
Sheik Yusuf al-Qaradawi, a radical Muslim Brotherhood ideologue based in Qatar, reportedly allocated $21 million to Hamas to buy land in Jerusalem.
- Two Somali American Terror Suspects Indicted in Minneapolis (07/20/09)
Two Somali-Americans have been indicted in a Minneapolis District Court for training with an Al Qaeda-linked terrorist group in Somalia.
- American Al Qaeda Spokesman Threatens Jews (06/18/09)
Adam Yahiye Gadahn, an American who joined Al Qaeda in the late 1990s, threatened to attack “Zio-Crusader interests everywhere” in a video released by Al Sahab, Al Qaeda’s media wing, on June 13, 2009.
- Soldier Killed at Arkansas Army Recruiting Center (06/10/09)
An American convert to Islam who killed one uniformed American soldier and shot another at a military recruiting center in Little Rock, Arkansas, planned to target other U.S. military centers and Jewish institutions.
- American Muslim Extremists: A Growing Threat to Jews (06/09/09)
- Minnesota Man Pleads Guilty to Al Qaeda-Linked Terrorism Charges (06/01/09)
A Minneapolis resident accused of aiding and communicating with Al Qaeda has pleaded guilty to supporting the terrorist group.
- Four Convicted in New York for Terrorist Plot Against Synagogues (05/21/09)
Four New York residents have been convicted of plotting to attack two synagogues in the Bronx and to shoot down planes at a military base in Newburgh, New York.
- Lebanese National Convicted in New York for Aiding Al Qaeda (05/20/09)
A Lebanese-born Swedish man has been convicted on terrorism charges for attempting to set up a jihad training camp in Bly, Oregon and operating multiple Web sites that distributed terrorist training materials.
- Five "Homegrown Terrorists" Found Guilty in Florida (05/15/09)
After two consecutive mistrials, five men have been convicted for plotting to attack the Sears Tower in Chicago, the FBI headquarters in Miami and other U.S. buildings.
TERROR AND TECHNOLOGY
- Profile: Moeed Abdul Salam (10/25/12)
Moeed Abdul Salam, a little-known American terror propagandist, was killed in Pakistan during the course of a raid on his apartment by Pakistani troops less than two months after Anwar Al-Awlaki and Samir Khan were killed in a U.S. drone strike in Yemen.
- AQAP Releases Very Different Issues of Inspire (05/11/12)
- Revolution Muslim's Web of Influence (02/27/12)
Revolution Muslim and its past leadership attracted a significant number of individuals implicated in terror-related activities in the U.S.
- AQAP Releases "New" Posthumous al-Awlaki Video (01/09/12)
Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula's (AQAP) media arm released a video on December 20, 2011, featuring a eulogy for Anwar al-Awlaki and a never before seen video message from him in an effort to reach al-Awlaki's Western audience and perpetuate his message after his death.
- Al Shabaab Launches Apparent Twitter Campaign (12/20/11)
The Al Qaeda-linked Somali militant group Al Shabaab apparently began posting on the social media website Twitter on December 7, 2011, in what is the latest exploitation of the internet by terrorists and their supporters.
- Inspire Seven Released Days Before Deaths of Awlaki and Khan (09/29/11)
The seventh issue of the English-language terrorist magazine, Inspire, released online by the media wing of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) on September 27, 2011, focuses on the ten-year anniversary of the September 11th attacks. The issues was released just days before Samir Khan, an American citizen believed to be the principal author of Inspire, was reported killed in a drone strike in Yemen along with influential jihadist propagandist Anwar al-Awlaki, who was also a regular contributor to the magazine.
- Virginian Charged with Propagating Violent Jihad (09/07/11)
A Pakistani-born permanent legal resident from Virginia has been charged with providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization by producing a video "glorifying violent jihad" on its behalf.
- Pennsylvania Man Charged with Inciting Terrorism (07/19/11)
A 21-year-old Pennsylvania man has been indicted on terror-related charges for allegedly using the Internet to encourage violence against Americans. Emerson Winfield Begolly, of New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, was charged on July 14, 2011, with soliciting crimes of violence, including acts of terrorism, and with posting bomb-making materials online.
- AQAP Releases Sixth Issue of Inspire Magazine (07/19/11)
The sixth issue of the English-language terrorist magazine, Inspire, released online by the media wing of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) on July 19, 2011, focuses mostly on the martyrdom of Osama bin Laden and other AQAP fighters.
- American Al Qaeda Spokesman Calls on Americans to Attack at Home (06/09/11)
Adam Yahiye Gadahn, an American Muslim convert from California who has appeared in Al Qaeda propaganda videos for nearly a decade, has called on Americans to launch attacks on U.S. soil.
- AQAP Releases Fifth Issue of Inspire Magazine (03/30/11)
The Fifth issue of the English-language terrorist magazine Inspire, released online by the media wing of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) on March 29, 2011, focuses mostly on the uprisings across the Middle East and North Africa.
- As-Shamikha Magazine: Inside Al Qaeda's Women of Jihad (03/18/11)
The first issue of As-Shamikha (The Mighty One), a self-described "Islamic jihadi magazine for women," has been released by Al-Fajr Media Center, an online distributor of Al-Qaeda materials.
- Accessing American Muslim Extremists: An Overview of Online Trends in 2010 (01/25/11)
A significant number of American Muslim extremists involved in terror-related activity over the past several years have been influenced by an abundance of terrorist propaganda and recruitment techniques online.
- Al Qaeda's Inspire Magazine Publishes New Calls for Attacks in the U.S. (01/18/11)
The fourth issue of the English-language terrorist magazine Inspire, released online by the media wing of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) on January 16, 2011, calls for terrorist attacks in the U.S. and provides instructions on how to destroy buildings.
- Al Qaeda Media Releases Online Bomb Manual in English (01/10/11)
An Al Qaeda-affiliated media organization has released an English-language bomb-making manual for its online audience.
- Al Qaeda English Magazine Calls for Explosive Packages to be Sent on U.S.-Bound Aircraft (11/22/10)
Al Qaeda's affiliate in Yemen – which sent explosive-laden packages on U.S.-bound cargo flights in October – has threatened to "bleed the enemy to death" by sending similar explosive devices on both commercial and passenger aircrafts in Western countries.
- Al Qaeda Releases First-Ever English Terror Magazine (07/15/10)
In its latest effort to reach Western audiences, Al Qaeda has released its first-ever English-language magazine that provides detailed bomb making instructions and calls on followers to "destroy" America.
- Virginia Man Behind South Park Threats Encourages Parents to Teach Children about Jihad (07/06/10)
The Virginia man who threatened the creators of South Park for their depiction of the Prophet Muhammad has distributed a 25-page report on how to teach Western children the values of Jihad.
- Gaza Flotilla Incident Sparks Anti-Semitism and Calls for Violence Online (06/03/10)
Expressions of anti-Semitism and calls for violence against Israel and Jews have exploded online in response to the Israeli naval operation to stop a flotilla of ships en route to Gaza on May 31, 2010.
- Abu Talhah Al-Amrikee: An Extensive Online Footprint (04/20/10)
- American Ideologues Reach Western Audiences with Online Terror Propaganda (03/08/10)
American Muslim ideologues living abroad are using their online pulpits to reach and influence extremists in the U.S. with ideologies of extreme intolerance and violence. Through English-language propaganda distributed on a variety of online platforms, these ideologues have not only encouraged attacks in the U.S., but also recruited followers to join terrorist groups overseas.
- Al Qaeda Second-in-Command Calls for “Jihad against Jews” (12/17/09)
Ayman al-Zawahiri, Al Qaeda’s second-in-command, has renewed calls to establish an Islamic state in Israel and urges his followers to “seek jihad against Jews” and their supporters.
- Fort Hood Shooting is Praised Online as Act of Heroism (11/25/09)
In the aftermath of the November 5 shootings at the Fort Hood military base in Texas, numerous posts expressing support for the suspected shooter have appeared on a range of English-language Web sites and forums.
- English Jihad Magazine Targets Western Audience (07/17/09)
Muslim extremists are increasingly appealing to Western audiences through English-language magazines disseminated via the Internet.
- Islamic Terrorist Group Threatens to Attack Germany and Jews (04/24/09)
An Al Qaeda linked terrorist group reportedly threatened to attack the “criminal” German government and German Jewish citizens in a video posted on the Internet on April 10, 2009.
- American Al Qaeda Spokesman Resurfaces in Video (04/20/09)
Adam Yahiye Gadahn, an American Muslim convert who joined Al Qaeda in the late 1990s, urged Muslims to provide assistance to suicide bombers with "money and men" and criticized America and Israel as "forces of evil" in a video produced by Al Sahab, Al Qaeda's media wing, on April 13, 2009.
- Apparent American Militants in Somalia Appear in Video (04/07/09)
A video featuring two men identifying themselves as Americans fighting in southern Somalia has surfaced, according to reports. A spokesperson for the FBI office in Minneapolis, which is investigating a group of Americans who have left their homes to join a terrorist group in Somalia, reportedly said the video was brought to his office's attention on April 5, 2009.
- Somali Terrorist Group Releases Recruitment Video Featuring "the American" (04/02/09)
A propaganda video by a Somali terrorist group urging foreigners "to come and live the life of a mujahid" features an English speaking militant named "the American."
- Islamic Militant Online Magazine Focuses on Gaza (02/17/09)
The latest issue of an online magazine for Islamic militants focuses on Israel's military action in Gaza to stop Hamas rockets from being fired at Israeli towns and cities.
- PFLP Calls for Takeover of Israeli Embassies (01/16/09)
The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), a terrorist organization responsible for attacks against Israelis since the 1960s, called for an “escalation and expansion of direct action, particularly the takeover of embassies of Israel and its allies” on its English-language Web site.
- Hamas Expands Reach Through Media (11/24/08)
Al Quds TV, a new Arabic language satellite television channel, reportedly linked to Hamas, is the latest part of the terrorist organization's expanding media network.
- Video Sharing Web Site Linked to Hamas (11/18/08)
A file sharing Web site containing videos that glorify suicide bombers and terrorism appears to be the latest effort by Hamas to reach a wider audience through the Internet.
- American Al Qaeda Spokesman Releases New Video (10/10/08)
In a new video featuring Adam Yahiye Gadahn, the American Muslim convert who joined Al Qaeda in the late 1990s threatens the “Zionist-crusader enemy” and criticizes Pakistani authorities.
- Online Terror Facilitator Sentenced in London (09/15/08)
A British man who allegedly distributed terrorist related materials online to a network of contacts in the United States, Europe and Canada, has been sentenced in London.
- Hamas Media Reaches Children with Messages of Hate and Violence (04/28/08)
Hamas, the terrorist organization which now governs the Gaza Strip, continues to use the media to indoctrinate children as young as pre-school into its cause, promote terrorist activity and incite hatred of Jews and Israelis.
- Zawahiri Responds to Online Questions; Threatens Israel & Jews (04/04/08)
Ayman al-Zawahiri, Al Qaeda’s second in command, threatened Israel and “Jewish interests” in a 90-minute audio message billed as the first installment of responses to more than 900 questions submitted on Web sites commonly used by Islamic militants.
- Samir Khan Launches New Blog for Jihadist Propaganda (04/01/08)
- Zawahiri Releases First Video in 2008 (03/03/08)
In a video posted on a Web site commonly used by Islamic militants, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Al Qaeda’s second in command, threatens that Al Qaeda will take revenge on America for killing one of their top chiefs.
- Al Qaeda Releases Videos for Cell Phones (01/23/08)
Al Qaeda has announced the release of eight previously recorded videos in a format designed for cell phones. The announcement was released on Web sites commonly used by Islamic militants by Al Qaeda’s media wing Al Sahab on January 4, 2008.
- PFLP Launches English Language Web Site (01/08/08)
The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), a terrorist organization responsible for attacks against Israelis since the late 1960s, has launched an English-language Web site in conjunction with the 40th anniversary of its founding.
- Hezbollah Releases Anti-Israel War Game (08/17/07)
The terrorist group Hezbollah has announced the release of its latest video game designed for children, in which players destroy Israeli military vehicles and kill Israeli soldiers.
- Hamas Online Magazine for Children Promotes Terror and Hatred (05/11/07)
A Hamas online magazine designed for children continues to use cartoon characters, games and other content to demonize Jews and Israelis and glorify terrorism.
- Suicide Bomber Detonates Himself in Internet Cafe (03/19/07)
A Moroccan man, who allegedly planned to attack landmarks in Casablanca, blew himself up in an Internet cafe on March 11, 2007.
- Jihadist Video Announces "Islamic State of Iraq" (11/16/06)
The Global Islamic Media Front, a long-time "umbrella" propaganda organization for Islamic extremists, has released a propaganda video announcing the establishment of the "Islamic State of Iraq."
- Hezbollah Web Sites Continue to Use U.S. Internet Services (08/08/06)
Despite being bombarded by Israeli forces in Lebanon, Al-Manar television and Al-Nour radio, Hezbollah's main propaganda arms, continue to operate by utilizing the services of U.S.-based Internet companies.
- Hamas Magazine for Kids Promotes Martyrdom and Hatred (03/14/06)
The first issues of Hamas' on-line magazine for kids since the Palestinian terrorist organization won control of the Palestinian parliament encourages kids to become suicide bombers and advocates hatred of Jews.
- Cyber Operative Charged in Real World Terror Plot (03/01/06)
The saga of Younis Tsouli, a 22-year-old British national arrested near London in October 2005 for allegedly plotting a terrorist attack, illustrates the growing threat posed by terrorist sympathizers seeking to engage in activity beyond cyberspace.
- Hackers Attack Danish Newspaper Web Site (02/09/06)
A video showing how hackers attacked the Web site of a Danish newspaper that printed caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed is circulating on numerous Internet forums and bulletin boards.
- Terrorist Video Producer Captured In Iraq (11/30/05)
A man allegedly responsible for producing propaganda videos for the Jaish al-Mujahideen terrorist group in Iraq has been apprehended by coalition forces.
- Alleged Al Qaeda Newscast Posted to Internet (10/21/05)
Three editions of Sout Al Khilafa (Arabic for “Voice of the Caliphate”), a new online video newscast that claims to be the “voice of Al Qaeda on the Internet,” have been posted to the Internet by the Global Islamic Media Front (GIMF), a long-time “umbrella” propaganda group for Islamic terrorists.
- Terrorist Training Videos Appear Online (08/22/05)
Links to terrorist training videos featuring instructions on how to build explosive devices and prepare gunpowder have recently appeared on several Web sites regularly used by militant Islamic groups.
- Self-Proclaimed “Jihad Brigades in Palestine” Claims Missile Attack on Jewish Settlement (08/08/05)
A group calling itself “Jihad Brigades in Palestine – the military wing of Al Qaeda in Palestine” posted a link on an Al Qaeda affiliated Web site to an online video taking credit for missile attacks on Jewish settlements in Gaza at the end of July.
- Al Qalah Web Site Provides Forum for Militants (07/08/05)
A Web site that recently posted a claim of responsibility for the London mass transit bombings is regularly used by militant Islamic groups.
- Second Edition of Al Qaeda in Iraq Recruitment Magazine Posted (06/20/05)
Al Qaeda in Iraq, an Al Qaeda affiliated terrorist group led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, has issued the second edition of its recruitment magazine over the Internet.
- Web Sites Endorse Attack of U.S. Embassy in Indonesia (06/06/05)
Two Web sites providing information and advice on the best way to bomb the U.S. Embassy in Indonesia were posted on the Internet on May 25.
- Discovery of Zarqawi’s Laptop Provides Important Clues (04/28/05)
The recovery by U.S. military forces in Iraq of a laptop computer, which is believed to be the property of wanted terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, is being called “a seminal event” by U.S. officials.
- Al Qaeda in Iraq Posts Recruitment Magazine to Internet (04/01/05)
Al Qaeda in Iraq, an Al Qaeda affiliated terrorist group led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, has posted a 43-page magazine on the Internet in an effort to recruit new fighters and spread its propaganda.
- Hezbollah Web Sites Forced to Relocate (03/14/05)
At least ten Hezbollah-associated Web sites have moved from or been shut down by Web-hosting companies in the United States and Canada so far in 2005.
- Jihad Online: Islamic Terrorists and the Internet (01/01/02)
IN THE COURTS
- Extraditions from Europe to Go Ahead (04/23/12)
The European Court of Human Rights' decision to allow the extradition of five terrorism suspects from the United Kingdom to the United States has paved the way for faster extradition of terrorism suspects to the United States.
- California Woman Charged with Funding Attacks on U.S. Military (12/27/11)
Oytun Ayse Mihalik has been charged with providing financial support to terrorists in Pakistan and lying to federal investigators about the transactions.
- Chicago Resident Found Guilty of Aiding Pakistani Terror Group (06/15/11)
A Canadian citizen from Chicago has been convicted for his role in a planned terrorist attack against a Danish newspaper and for providing support to Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), the Pakistani militant group with links to Al Qaeda.
- Canadian Charged in New York Subway Plot (03/17/11)
A Canadian man believed to have been involved in the 2009 plot to bomb the New York City subway system faces terror charges in the U.S. and Canada.
- Ohio Couple Charged with Supporting Hezbollah (06/09/10)
An Ohio couple has been charged with attempting to provide funds and vehicles for Hezbollah to use against Israel.
- Chicago Taxi Driver Arrested for Planning to Bomb U.S. Stadium (04/02/10)
A Chicago taxi driver has been arrested for allegedly providing funds to Al Qaeda associates and planning to bomb a stadium in the United States.
- Criminal Proceedings: A Timeline of U.S. Terror Cases (03/09/10)
- Miami Businessmen Arrested on Hezbollah-Related Smuggling Charges (02/22/10)
Three Miami-based businessmen have been indicted for smuggling electronics to a Hezbollah-operated business in Paraguay.
- Terror-Related Trials Marked by Claims of Israeli Control (02/09/10)
The trial of a Pakistani woman with alleged links to Al Qaeda is the latest terror-related trial during which defendants and their supporters have claimed that American courts are controlled by Israel.
- Former Employee of Hamas-Linked Charity Indicted in Michigan on Terror-Related Charges (02/05/10)
A Detroit resident has been charged with lying to federal authorities about his involvement with an American-based Muslim charity shut down by the government for funneling money to Hamas.
- Leaders of Colombian Terror Organization Plead Guilty to Narcotics Charges in D.C. (12/22/09)
Two leaders of a Colombia-based terrorist organization have pleaded guilty to attempting to import cocaine into the United States.
- Americans Convicted on Terrorism Charges Sentenced in Atlanta (12/15/09)
Two U.S. citizens who shot videos of U.S. landmarks in the Washington, D.C. area for potential terrorist attacks have been sentenced in Atlanta.
- Four Men Indicted in Philadelphia for Attempting to Support Hezbollah (12/01/09)
Four men have been indicted in Philadelphia for attempting to provide Hezbollah with a cache of weapons and funds.
- New Yorker Pleads Guilty to Terrorism Financing (10/16/09)
A New York man who attempted to funnel thousands of dollars to a terrorist training camp in Afghanistan has pleaded guilty to terrorism financing.
- Members of Colombian Terror Organization Indicted in New York (09/30/09)
Twelve members of a Colombia-based terrorist organization have been indicted in New York for kidnapping an American citizen and procuring weapons and explosives for the group.
- International Arms Trafficker Charged with Narco-Terrorism in New York (08/21/09)
A former member of the Syrian military has been charged with conspiring to supply a terrorist organization in Colombia with military-grade weapons in exchange for nearly 1 ton of cocaine.
- Criminal Proceedings in 2009 (08/13/09)
- Yemeni Sheikh Pleads Guilty to Aiding Hamas in New York Court (08/12/09)
A prominent member of the Islamic opposition party in Yemen admitted in a New York court to providing funds to Hamas. On August 7, 2009, Sheikh Mohammed Ali Hasan al-Moayad, 60, and his associate, Mohammed Mohsen Yahya Zayed, 35, pleaded guilty in a Brooklyn federal court to conspiring to provide material support to the Palestinian terrorist group.
- Houston Man Sentenced for Supporting the Taliban (08/11/09)
A Houston man has been sentenced to 54 months in prison for conspiring to join the Taliban and fight against U.S. forces.
- Sentences Handed Down in Holy Land Foundation Trial (05/28/09)
Leaders of what was once considered the largest Muslim charity in the United States were sentenced to prison for funneling money to the Hamas terrorist organization.
- Al Qaeda Operative Pleads Guilty to Terror Charges in Illinois (05/08/09)
An Al Qaeda operative entered the U.S. one day before the September 11 terrorist attacks and was held in the U.S. without charges for more than seven years pleaded guilty to attending terrorist training camps and assisting Al Qaeda operations in the U.S.
- Afghan Drug King Charged with Terror Financing in New York (05/01/09)
An Afghan drug trafficker has been charged in Manhattan federal court for allegedly conspiring to finance the Taliban’s terrorist activities, including their efforts to forcibly expel the U.S. from Afghanistan.
- Iraqi-Dutch Citizen Sentenced in D.C. on Terrorism Charges (04/24/09)
An Iraqi-born Dutch citizen sentenced to 25 years in prison for conspiring to kill Americans overseas, is the first person to be prosecuted in a U.S. court for terrorism offenses against Americans in Iraq, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Anti-Terrorism Judgment Upheld Against U.S. Charities (12/18/08)
The en banc United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit upheld a lower court ruling against three Islamic charities for complicity in the murder of a 17-year old American citizen in the West Bank.
- First Guantanamo Bay Detainee Convicted on Terrorism Charges (08/20/08)
A Yemeni detainee at Guantanamo Bay has been sentenced to five and a half years in prison by a United States Military Tribunal for providing material support to Al Qaeda.
- Guantanamo Detainee Faces War Crimes Charges for U.S. Bomb Plot (06/04/08)
A former British resident from Ethiopia held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, faces war crime charges for his alleged role in an Al Qaeda plot to bomb targets, including apartment buildings, in the U.S.
- Tanzanian Charged in U.S. Embassy Bombing (03/31/08)
A Guantanamo detainee alleged to have been involved in the 1998 bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Tanzania faces war crimes charges, according to the Pentagon.
- Former Michigan Congressman Indicted in Terrorism-Funding Case (01/17/08)
A federal grand jury returned a superseding indictment against an Islamic charity and indicted a former congressman for accepting money from the organization to lobby on its behalf.
- Anti-Terrorism Judgment Overturned in Chicago (01/04/08)
The United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit overturned a landmark judgment against four Islamic charities and an alleged fundraiser for the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas for its role in the murder of a 17-year old American citizen in the West Bank.
- Islamic Charity Leaders Face Trial in Boston (11/20/07)
Three former leaders of a defunct Muslim charity in Massachusetts face federal tax fraud charges related to their alleged efforts to solicit funds to support Muslim militants overseas.
- Judge Declares Mistrial in Holy Land Foundation Trial (10/22/07)
In a major terrorism case, a federal jury in Dallas failed to come to a unanimous decision on most counts on the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development (HLF) terrorism-financing trial.
- American Muslim Convert Sentenced in Miami on Terrorism Charges (08/17/07)
An American Muslim convert convicted of providing material support to terrorists has been sentenced to more than 17 years in prison.
- Tainted Coalition Supports Holy Land Foundation (08/14/07)
- September 11 Attack Mastermind Admits Killing Daniel Pearl (03/26/07)
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, a former senior Al Qaeda operative, told a U.S. military court he personally beheaded Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, according to testimony released by the Pentagon on March 22, 2007.
- Seattle Man Convicted in Terror Case Arrested in Central America (12/20/06)
- Guantanamo Military Commissions Invalid (07/07/06)
The Supreme Court ruled on June 29, 2006, that that the military commissions established by the Bush Administration to try terror suspects lack "power to proceed because [their] structure and procedures violate" both the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and the Geneva Conventions, the international agreements that cover treatment of prisoners of war.
- Sami Al-Arian To Be Deported (04/17/06)
Former professor Sami Al-Arian, who was acquitted on terrorism charges late last year, will be deported rather than face a new trial.
- Trial of Sami Al-Arian Concludes with Acquittals, Deadlocks (12/13/05)
In a major terrorism case, the government failed to convince a federal jury in Florida that Sami al-Arian, former University of South Florida professor and a U.S. resident, acted to send funds to the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) terror organization for the purpose of committing terrorist acts.
- Unexpected Developments in Padilla Terror Trial (12/08/05)
Jose Padilla has been indicted by a federal grand jury in Miami after being held in Defense Department custody for over three years as an "enemy combatant."
- Appeals Court Says President Has Right to Detain Padilla (09/22/05)
A panel of a federal appeals court based in Richmond, Virginia, recently ruled that President Bush has the authority to indefinitely detain Jose Padilla, without charge, as an enemy combatant.
- Military Commissions Case Appealed to Supreme Court (08/22/05)
A Guantanamo Bay detainee facing various terrorism-related conspiracy charges has filed a petition with the Supreme Court appealing a federal appellate decision validating special military tribunals.
- Sami Al-Arian Trial Begins in Florida (06/27/05)
The trial of suspected terrorist supporter Sami Al-Arian and three co-defendants began in a federal court in Tampa, Florida, on June 6, 2005.
- Court Orders Padilla Charged or Released (04/01/05)
A federal judge in South Carolina has ordered the release of Jose Padilla, the so-called "dirty bomber," within 45 days if he is not charged with a crime or held as a material witness.
- Guantanamo: Unresolved Issues Remain in the Courts (03/14/05)
The Justice Department has filed for an expedited appeal of a decision entitling detainees held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to a hearing in federal court.
Terrorist Groups Use Distinct Symbols To Convey Their Ideology And Goals.