|101 Ways You Can Beat Prejudice
- Notify law enforcement.
- Be sure of the facts.
- Conduct a complete investigation of the incident, including the questioning of the
victim(s), witness(es) and perpetrator(s). Report hate-motivated crimes to law
- If there is physical damage (e.g., defacing, spray painting), take photographs.
- As soon as the damage has been viewed by law enforcement and photographs taken, offer
assistance in repairing or cleaning up the damage or vandalized property.
- If hate literature has been distributed, collect the literature for evidence.
- Notify ADL and similar agencies in the appropriate communities.
- Reach out to the victims with expressions of concern and support and reassure them and
their families that the incident will be treated seriously.
- Gather signatures on a petition repudiating the act.
- Organize coalitions to march, protest or sponsor a public forum to discuss the specific
incidents and active measures to prevent a recurrence.
- If the incident occurred in a school, work with the school administration to determine
appropriate disciplinary actions.